"Find Joy in the Journey--Now"
At the beginning of this new year I was thinking about what kind of resolutions I could have, like many of you. I thought about maybe doing something with eating healthier, exercising, reading more, all the typical ones that usually come up in New Year's resolutions. As I was pondering these there was one phrase that kept popping into my mind over and over again. It was so clear to me what Heavenly Father wanted me to focus on this year. I couldn't get it out of my head. The thought was, "Find joy in the journey-- now." - President Thomas S. Monson
Since then I have thought a lot about this. I have read his talk multiple times and every time I think about what this year is going to bring I can't help but think of President Monson's words. One paragraph from his talk I really love is, "This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone.... I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now."
President Monson also says, "...when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that’s present—love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us [happiness]—the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth." When we are present and making the best out of life right now then we will look back on our life with fulfillment and so many good memories. This is so hard for me to do sometimes. And I'm guessing I am not alone in that. I am definitely guilty of having times where I am focusing on what is missing from my life instead of appreciating what I have. This is why I was not surprised that this is what I felt I needed to learn this year. I sometimes get stuck in the mindset that once my plan all works out or I get what I have been longing for, THEN I will be happy, but that is not how it is supposed to be. I know this won't take away our challenges that we face. They will still come. Life is still going to be HARD. But there is joy to be had right now. As we learn to find joy even through the hard things and stop waiting for the joy to come after we will have more gratitude and learn more from our challenges. There have already been challenges this year, but I have been trying to be better at finding joy in the journey, now. It has helped me to keep pushing through the challenges and it has helped me to trust God. I have realized this year that I need to show effort and plan for the future, but I also need to be prepared for it not to work out the way I thought. And even while I am waiting to see how things turn out, I need to be living life and be present. Things will work out the way God intended and it will be a million times better than what I expected in the end.
Seth and I had the chance to go up to Oregon, Washington, and Idaho this past week for spring break. It was so fun to be able to look at different places and go explore together. We drove to a new place everyday. One of my favorite parts was a hike we went on to Twin Falls in Washington. It was so beautiful. This is one way that helps me to find joy is exploring and getting outside and finding new things. Even something simple can help me find joy, like going on a walk with Seth, or talking to someone on the phone. I love, love, love this talk. It is probably one of my all time favorite talks and it is one of the hardest things for me to do. I am really happy we aren't expected to be perfect right now, because this is something I am working on and will probably be working on my whole life. I am still learning how to do this. Because man, sometimes it is hard to find joy when things aren't going well, am I right? I would love to hear thoughts from anyone reading this as well. What are some ways you find joy every day? I am definitely open to suggestions.
Also, go read this talk if you want to be uplifted. It is the best talk and I linked it here for you all to read.
~ Meg
I love this Meg! Great thoughts. I will read the article for sure.
ReplyDeleteLoved this. Been having a hard time recently and this was a good reminder to focus on the blessings I do have in my life. Best luck and lots of love!
ReplyDelete